Friday, January 27, 2012

New House = Never Ending Projects

New bathroom - Color - Liberty Gray. New light fixtures

Old Bathroom. Color - Camel - looked terrible on my skin!
I will be the first to say that we are totally blessed that we don't have huge projects to do but MAN, we always have something to fix up. Right now we only turn on the water for the kitchen sink when we need it because we have a major leak. Unfortunately, we can't get that fixed in a weekend time so it has been about 2 weeks. Ridiculous! So we have a little list going of things to keep up on but with Tax Season underway we have to be patient. Also, we will be doing one fun project a month. Aka Painting/New light fixtures in the bathroom. This was about a 6 hour project for us. I had to finish my report cards last weekend and Kyle had to work.
When I was done with my report cards, Cole was done napping and Kyle got home, we ran to Home Depot and picked out the paint and light fixtures. Then we went to Chili's for dinner with our gift card. We came home, played with Cole and put him to bed around 7:45. The painting and removing of wall fixtures began. I started the painting by lantern light. Kyle had to run to Kmart because it was the only store open and get some spackle because one of the walls needed to be fixed. After church and grocery shopping the next day we finished it up while Cole slept. I LOVE IT! LOVE IT! It is so crisp, clean and spa like. Refreshing! We still need to clean up the trim...not our best skill. Kyle is pretty happy with it too! He didn't really want to do it that weekend but it was my reward for finishing report cards and it was worth it! :) Anyways...since Kyle said I can do 1 room a month I have to determine my action plan. Here are the rooms that need to be completed:

  • Master Bedroom - Painted, Create headboard, Paint dresser, Decide on bedding, Accessories. (This may be a 2-3 monther for budget purposes)
  • Guest/Kids Bath - Paint, remove rest of wall paper border, create wall art, decide if I want it kid-themed or not. (1 monther)
  • Baby Room - Paint and etc...crib, bedding, and so on. If it is a girl I will be painting the top half of the wall yellow and putting white wainscoating along the bottom. (A dream bedroom of mine come true) If it is a boy...who knows! Maybe use Cole's stuff and then update cole's room to the sports theme that goes with his sign. (1 monther or 2 to get bedding)
  • Basement - Carpet, Paint - this won't happen until next year. 
Those are the biggest things right now but lots of little projects too like leaky sinks and a weird mold stain on the wall. We will also be pulling lots of weeds and plants out this summer because the previous owner planted too close to the house. 

By the way, not having grad school is a HUGE relief off my shoulders. I feel like I have a moment to think(nap) on the weekends and that is a huge blessing! 

3 comments:

Eric and Carol: said...

Love it..... Looks so great! I would be happy to join you for a weekend project if you'd like.... I love redecorating... Especially if I don't have to spend the money :)

The Wolfs said...

The bathroom looks awesome!:) I've got no life so if you need any help with your projects just hollar! I love painting and hanging out with you!

The Grady Gazette said...

Everything looks and sounds like you are having too much fun!!!! While the other women are helping you out I would be more than willing to take care of Cole!!!